Storm Safety With Propane
Written on: June 6, 2022
Do you know what to do?
There’s so much propane can do in and around your New England home. And one of the benefits of propane is how safe it is to use. In fact, propane is one of the safest fuels you can use to heat your home and run appliances. However, in the event of a thunderstorm, there are some things you need to be mindful of to ensure the safety of everyone in your household.
Before, during, and after a thunderstorm strikes your neighborhood, here are some things you should do:
Before the storm:
- Check for leaks. Make sure you don’t have any propane leaks—not even a small one. You should also make sure everyone in your household can identify a leak and knows what to do when there is one.
- Find your gas main. It’s important to know where your gas main is and how to turn it off. If you ever need to evacuate your home because of inclement weather, be sure to turn off the gas main before you leave. If your tank is damaged in the storm, that could lead to flammable leaks, so turning off the gas main could prevent a fire.
During the storm:
- Stay safe. Avoid power lines and anything that is a conductor—including your propane tank.
- Keep informed. Follow any instructions you receive from local emergency personnel and community leaders. They should provide safety updates such as areas to avoid and evacuation notices.
After the storm:
- Observe. Once the storm is over and it’s safe to go outside, look for anything that could pose a problem for your property (e.g., fallen trees and downed power lines).
- Inspect. Check your propane tank and appliances for damage. Note any visible issues and report them to your service provider. You should also run each appliance to make sure it’s not malfunctioning.
- No candles! Even if you’ve lost power in your home, be careful not to burn candles near anything powered by propane. You could start a fire!
At Brideau Energy, your safety is our priority. For additional propane safety tips, click here.
Make Brideau Energy Your Propane Provider
Brideau Energy is a reliable source of propane delivering to homes across Central Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. Click here to see if we’re in your neighborhood.
Contact us today to learn more about propane delivery and propane tank monitoring.