How To Save Money on Home Heating Bills
Written on: January 22, 2024
Save Energy to Save Money!
Most of us can appreciate saving money wherever possible. Unless you’ve won the lottery or are independently wealthy, cost-saving tips are valuable to you. Did you know there are simple things you can do around your Massachusetts or Southern New Hampshire home to help you save money on your home heating bills?
Tips for Winterizing Your Home
If you want to make your home more energy efficient and save money on your energy bills (or you’re planning to leave your home empty for any extended period of time), we recommend taking the following steps to winterize your home:
- Adjust your thermostat: When you and your family are away or asleep, you can lower your thermostat and save on home heating costs. Just make sure you don’t turn your heat off completely. Winter in Sterling, MA means freezing cold days and nights. That means you need to think about your pipes. You don’t want them to freeze or burst. If that happens, you’ll need professional plumbing services. For help with frozen pipes and all other plumbing services, look no further than Brideau Energy.
- Prevent freeze-ups: Another way to avoid a common winter plumbing problem is to turn off the water supply for any of your outdoor valves and drain the water from the pipes. Need help? Trust the plumbing pros at Brideau Energy. We offer expert service at a fair price.
- Adjust your water heater: Your water heater is responsible for a significant portion of your home’s energy costs—roughly 20%. If your home will be empty while you’re away on vacation this winter, you can lower the temperature on your water heater. Some water heaters even have a vacation setting. If yours doesn’t, you can lower the temperature 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Increase your home’s energy efficiency: The more energy efficient your home is, the more money you’ll save all winter and beyond. You’ll also find your home more comfortable because it will be easier to maintain the desired temperature. For year-round benefits, caulk your windows and add weather stripping to your doors. Make sure your home is well-insulated, especially the large spaces like the attic.
- Use the sun: Open your blinds or curtains during the daylight hours to let the natural heat from the sun help augment your home heating system. Then close your blinds or curtains at night to help keep the heat in your home.
- Make Brideau your home heating oil supplier: We deliver Bioheat Plus® fuel to our customers. In addition to being better for the environment, Bioheat Plus fuel will help your home heating system run more efficiently. A home heating system that is operating more efficiently costs less to run. You’ll also need fewer repairs, and your system will last longer (putting a home heating system replacement further in the future).
Why Choose Brideau For Home Heating Service?
Brideau Energy is more than a heating oil and propane supplier. We are a home comfort company providing plumbing, heating, and cooling services. We have earned our reputation by serving our Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire customers with fairness and honesty. You can trust us for all your home comfort needs.
Contact Brideau Energy today to learn more about the services we offer or to request a heating oil delivery.