5 Tips to Save Energy with Your Central Air
Written on: July 3, 2023
Don’t Let Summer Break the Bank
Everywhere you look it seems like things are getting more expensive. It costs more to feed your family, put gas in the car, and travel. Fortunately, as a central air customer, you’re already cooling your house efficiently, but there are even more things you can do to keep you home cool while saving energy. Saving energy is good for your budget and for the environment.
We know our customers are looking for ways to lower their costs. And now that summer is here, you’re going to be looking for ways to stay cool in your New England home when the temps start to really rise. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to save money on your energy bills while keeping cool this season.
Energy Saving Tips for AC Users
Want to stay cool and comfortable in your home while keeping your energy bills under control? Here are five tips for saving energy and for lowering your energy bills this summer:
- A lot of the unwanted heat in your home comes through the windows. Closing the curtains or using shades during the daytime can reduce the demand on your AC. You can also make your home more energy efficient by caulking windows, installing door sweeps, and adding insulation. Because these steps will make your home more energy efficient overall, doing these things will also save you money on your heating bills during the winter!
- Avoid running heat-generating appliances inside your home. Take advantage of the sunshine and save money by drying your clothes outside on a line instead of in the clothes dryer. Now is also a great time to power up your BBQ grill and give your range and oven a rest. Who doesn’t like a meal cooked al fresco during the summer?
- Since hot air rises, you can feel cooler at bedtime by moving your mattress to the floor or a lower level of your home. You’ll also feel cooler throughout the night if you use breathable cotton sheets and buckwheat pillows.
- It’s always a good idea to use a programmable thermostat. Set it to let your home give your AC a rest and warm up during those hours when the house will be empty or you and your family are asleep. For each degree higher you go, you could save 3% to 5% a day on your AC bills.
- Routinely change the air filters on your AC. A clogged air filter will reduce your AC’s efficiency. You should check your air filters monthly and change or clean them according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Better yet, make sure you get regular professional maintenance for your AC to keep it running at maximum efficiency. Brideau Energy provides preventative central air maintenance. As part of our tune-up, a technician will do a multi-point check of your AC system. This will help catch minor problems before they become serious and will ensure your system is running as efficiently as possible. The more efficiently your system runs, the less it costs to keep it running.
Taking these simple steps will put less demand on your AC and lower your energy usage. But you’ll still be cool and comfortable. So make the above your checklist for staying cool while saving energy (and money) this summer.
Your Comfort Is Our Priority
As a family-owned, top-quality fuel company, Brideau Energy cares about our central Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire customers.
Contact us today to learn more or to request a tune-up for your AC. Your comfort is our priority.