It’s Time to Winterize!
Written on: October 24, 2022
Tips for Protecting Your Home & Saving Money
Fall is here and we’ve already begun to feel the chill in the air. Winter is just around the corner and will be here before you know it. There are some simple steps you can take now to help prepare your home for the winter months that will save you money. And especially if your home will be empty for any extended periods of time, winterizing your home now will help ensure you don’t come back to an expensive problem like burst pipes.
Tips for Winterizing Your Home
Whether you simply want to make your home more energy efficient and save money on your energy bills or you’re planning to leave your home empty for some extended periods of time, we recommend taking the following steps to winterize your home:
- Adjust your thermostat: When you and your family are away or asleep, you can lower your thermostat and save on heating costs. Just make sure you don’t turn your heat off completely. Winter in New England means freezing cold days and nights. That means you need to think about your pipes. You don’t want them to freeze or burst. If that happens, you’ll need professional plumbing services. For help with frozen pipes and all other plumbing services, look no further than Brideau Energy.
- Prevent freeze-ups: Another way to avoid a common winter plumbing problem is to turn off the water supply for any of your outdoor valves and drain the water from the pipes. Need help? Trust the plumbing pros at Brideau Energy. We offer expert service at a fair price.
- Adjust your water heater: Your water heater is responsible for a significant portion of your home’s energy costs—roughly 20%. If your home will be empty while you’re away on vacation this winter, you can lower the temperature on your water heater. Some water heaters even have a vacation setting. If yours doesn’t, you can lower the temperature 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Increase your home’s energy efficiency: The more energy efficient your home is, the more money you’ll save all winter and beyond. You’ll also find your home more comfortable because it will be easier to maintain the desired temperature. For year-round benefits, caulk your windows and add weather stripping to your doors. Make sure your home is well-insulated, especially the large spaces like the attic.
The master plumbers at Brideau Energy can help you prepare your plumbing system for winter and so much more. Here’s a selection of some of the plumbing services we offer:
- Boiler installations
- Faucet repair/replacement
- Filtration-system installations
- Frozen pipes
- Gas piping
- Kitchen and bath renovation/remodeling jobs
- Plumbing installations
- Sink/tub draining
- Toilet repair or replacement
- Water-heater installations
- Water-heater repair or replacement
- Water-quality checks
Brideau Energy is more than a heating oil and propane supplier. We are a home comfort company providing plumbing, heating, and cooling services. We have earned our reputation by serving our central Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire customers with fairness and honesty. You can trust us for all your home comfort needs.
Contact us today to schedule plumbing service or request a free estimate on a plumbing project or installation.