Is Switching From Oil to Propane A Smart Call?
Written on: May 9, 2022
Every method for heating your home has its advocates. If you’re currently a heating oil customer, and especially if you’ve been taking note of the recent volatility in the heating oil market, you might be wondering if now is a good time to switch your New England home to propane.
When Switching Makes Sense
If you’re trying to decide whether switching from heating oil to propane makes sense, here are some things to consider:
- How old is your oil tank? If it’s nearing the end of its lifespan or is in need of substantial maintenance or repairs, then this is a good time to weigh the pros and cons of replacing it or switching to propane.
- Propane is efficient. Most propane furnaces are 90% efficient. Especially if you have an old heating oil furnace, it might only be 60% efficient. Another reason age matters when you’re weighing your options.
- Propane is nontoxic. You don’t have to worry about leaks when you use propane. Leaks are rare, and in the event that there is a leak, no damage will be done to the soil, water, or organisms in the vicinity. Resolving a heating oil leak can be expensive, and it will do damage to the environment.
- You’ll save space. Heating oil systems take up more space in your home—space you’ll get back if you switch to propane.
- Propane is versatile. Heating oil is sort of a one trick pony. It can heat your home and water. Propane, on the other hand can do all that and more. It can power your oven and clothes dryer. You can use it outside for your grill, pool heater, patio heating, or lighting. And because it’s portable, you can even take it camping!
- Propane lasts. You can keep a propane tank in storage for up to 40 years! And very little maintenance is involved.
- Propane is green. Compared to heating oil, propane produces significantly less emissions. With a smaller carbon footprint, it’s the greener choice.
Switching Is Easy
If you decide to make the switch to propane, Brideau Energy makes it easy. It’s also not as expensive as you might think. Our staff stays on top of the latest rebates and other incentives that can make it even more affordable. Just give us a call and we’ll send an equipment specialist to provide a free, no-obligation evaluation of your home. We’ll review that evaluation and give you a quote that takes advantage of available rebates and incentives. All that’s left after that is to sign your agreement and schedule your installation. Installation usually takes one day and includes the removal of your old equipment as well as the testing and cleaning of your new equipment.
Make Brideau Energy Your Fuel Provider
Whether you use heating oil, propane, or both, Brideau Energy has you covered. As a family-owned, top-quality fuel company, we care about your comfort. We have also earned a reputation for fairness and honesty. Click here to see if we’re in your neighborhood of central Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire.
Contact us today to learn more about switching to propane or to request a home evaluation.