No Heat? Do This Before Calling for Service
Written on: November 15, 2021
Troubleshooting Tips for Your Heating System
Do you know what to do if the heat in your New England home stops working? Now is a good time for a review of the troubleshooting steps you should follow before you call for service.
Furnace or Boiler Not Working? Here’s What to Do
If your heat is out, don’t panic. Try the following:
- Set your thermostat to at least five degrees higher than the current room temperature. (You might also need to set your thermostat to “heat”.) If your heating system doesn’t kick in after a few minutes, go to step 2.
- Confirm that your system’s power switch is set to the “on” position. If it is, go to step 3.
- Check if you have enough fuel. Is your oil or propane tank at least 1/8 full? If you have less than 1/8 of a tank, call Brideau Energy for a delivery. We deliver both heating oil and propane. If you have more than 1/8 of a tank, go to step 4.
- Check your circuit breaker box. Are all the circuit breakers on? If they are, go to step 5 if you have a boiler and step 6 if you have a furnace.
- If you have a steam boiler, check the water level in the gauge glass. It should be at least ½ full. If it is, go to step 7. If you have a hot water boiler, go to step 7.
- If you have a furnace, make sure your filters are clean. A clogged filter can make your system overheat and shut down. Before you check the filter, it’s important that you first turn off the system’s power. You’ll find the filter somewhere along the return air duct. If it’s clean, go to step 7.
- Press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. Never push this button more than once. If your heat doesn’t come on, contact Brideau Energy for service.
Whether you need heating oil or propane delivery or service for your boiler or furnace, the knowledgeable team at Brideau Energy provides a level of best-in-class service that’s hard to beat. We’re also your go-to dealer for boiler and furnace sales and installations if it’s time for an upgrade.
Since 1987, the pros at Brideau Energy have earned the loyalty of our customers with our fairness and honesty. Our family-owned business provides the households of central Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire with fair pricing and personalized service. Click here to find out if we’re in your area.
Contact us today to become a customer, request a fuel delivery, or receive service.