What Size Heating Oil Tank Do I Need for My Home?
Written on: January 17, 2022
How big is big enough?
Hopefully, you haven’t had to learn the hard way that you should never let the heating oil tank for your New England home go empty. An empty tank means you can’t heat your home or water. And your family’s discomfort is just the beginning. An empty tank can also cause the reduced efficiency or failure of your heating system.
It’s important to order more heating oil before your tank’s levels get too low. But when it’s the tank itself you’re shopping for, how much is enough? What size tank is right for your Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire home?
If your heating oil tank is more than thirty years old, now is a good time to start shopping around for a new one. And you need look no further than Brideau Energy for fast, safe, and professional oil-tank installation.
What to look for in a heating oil tank
So, what size oil tank does your home need? Here are some things you should know:
- You can find your oil tank’s capacity on its nameplate. Most above-ground tanks used residentially are 275 gallons. Larger homes may need a 330-gallon or 500-gallon tank. Underground tanks can be 1,000 gallons or more.
- It’s important to remember that the capacity listed on your tank’s nameplate is for a brand-new tank. In time, debris will accumulate and your tank’s capacity will decrease.
- A 275-gallon tank should be sufficient for a home with one or two bedrooms and that is 2,500 square feet or smaller. Homes with three or four bedrooms might need a 330-gallon or 500-gallon tank.
- If you’re installing the tank inside your home, make sure there is sufficient space available in your home for the tank size you want. Measure the dimensions of your home’s available space and keep those numbers front of mind when choosing your new tank.
- Another factor to consider is the size of your household and whether that number may change soon. If your family might become larger soon, it may be prudent to choose a larger tank than you need immediately with your family’s future needs in mind.
- Finally, consider your family’s preferences and habits. Is your thermostat set to keep your home on the warmer or cooler side? Are you frugal or eco-conscious? Do you tend to leave your home empty or host multiple guests for long stretches of time? All of these things will affect the tank size that’s best for you.
Regardless of the size of your tank, it’s always a good time be one of Brideau Energy’s automatic heating oil delivery customers. That way, we’ll take care of all the calculations and scheduling so that you don’t have to keep an eye on your tank’s levels or worry about when to call for your next delivery.
Brideau Energy is the premier family-owned, top-quality fuel company in the region. We have earned our reputation by serving our central Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire customers with fairness and honesty. Click here to see if we’re in your neighborhood.
Contact us today for heating-oil tank repair and installation or to request a fuel delivery. Your comfort is our priority.