Save Money on Your Heating Bills
Written on: February 21, 2022
Reduce your energy costs without sacrificing comfort
Winter can be a tough season to budget through. Perhaps you’re still recovering from your Christmas expenditures. It’s only February, and New England has already had an epic snowstorm. How do you keep your Central MA or southern NH home comfortable without overtaxing your budget? Don’t worry, it’s possible. Keep reading to find out how.
You can cut costs and stay warm
When it comes to cutting costs and staying comfortable this winter, your primary goal is to make your home more energy-efficient. This is the best way to save money on your energy bills during the winter months. In fact, some of the steps you’ll take to save money during the winter will save you money during the summer as well. An efficient home is better able to maintain whatever your desired temperature is.
- Use a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat gives you complete control over your family’s comfort. And it’s easy to use. By making some small adjustments, you’ll enjoy significant savings. For example, if you set your thermostat to lower the temperature in your home by about 6 degrees while your family is out for the day and while everyone is sleeping, you could save up to 10% on your heating bills. Save even more by lowering your thermostat whenever your home will be empty for a good stretch of time (e.g., when you go away for the weekend or on vacation).
- Reduce the drafts in your home: A drafty house loses up to 20% of its heated air through the small gaps around its windows and doors, chimney, ductwork, etc. Help prevent this loss by caulking your windows and adding door sweeps and weather stripping. This will help keep the air you’re paying to keep warm inside where you want it and can enjoy it. This is a step that will also benefit your budget during the summer months because your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool.
- Insulate: This step complements reducing the drafts in your home. Insulation helps your home maintain the desired temperature with a smaller expenditure of energy from your HVAC system. Your heating system won’t have to work as hard when your house more efficiently retains heat. Not sure where to start? Chances are you don’t have an insulated attic.
- Take advantage of the sun: You have a free source of energy at your disposal every sunny day. In the morning, open your curtains to let in as much warming sunlight as possible. Then close your curtains once the sun sets to help your home hold onto the heat.
Brideau cares about your budget
In an attempt to serve the budgeting needs of all our customers, Brideau offers several price protection options. These are available to both our heating oil and propane customers.
- Budget plan with price cap: This program keeps your fuel price at—or below—the agreed-upon cap price. If the market price drops, so will the price you pay.
- Pre-paid (fixed price): Purchase your fuel in advance so that you are not subject to price spikes. However, you will remain locked in, even if prices drop.
- Pre-paid (with price cap): For an additional fee, you’ll receive a credit for the difference between your cap price and our daily price if the market price drops.
As a family-owned, top-quality fuel company, Brideau Energy cares about your comfort. We have also earned a reputation for fairness and honesty. Click here to see if we’re in your neighborhood of central Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire.
Contact us today to become a customer, request a fuel delivery, or receive service. Your comfort is our priority.