Why Is My AC Running But Not Cooling?
Written on: August 7, 2023
We have all experienced the feeling of frustration when our air conditioning is on and running but not cooling down our house. No matter how low you set the temperature on your thermostat nothing seems to work and any relief from the hot weather feels worlds away. So why does this happen?
Causes of AC Problems
If you have your air conditioning blasting, but aren’t feeling cold air and can’t seem to cool down here are a few potential reasons why:
- Your air conditioner’s age: Air conditioners typically need to be replaced every 10 to 15 years since they lose their efficiency over time. Up to date models of AC’s have a SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating of 15 or higher as compared to older systems that can have a rating as low as a six. With such a low rating and a low level of efficiency, you can end up overspending on energy bills and repairs as you try to cool down your home.
- Your air conditioner hasn’t been well maintained: If you don’t stay up to date on servicing and maintaining your air conditioner, the system is not going to last as long or work as well as it should and you’ll find yourself needing more repairs overtime.
- The outdoor condenser is covered: A blocked outdoor condenser doesn’t allow for air to flow properly through your home. Make sure the area is clear of debris, leaves, twigs and nests.
- A broken thermostat: If your thermostat isn’t working well your air conditioning won’t work well either considering the thermostat controls your whole HVAC system.
- A blocked AC filter: If your AC’s filter is blocked you are simply not going to get an efficient amount of air flowing throughout your home, which is going to keep you from feeling cool. We recommend checking your air filter on a monthly basis to see if it needs to be cleaned or replaced.
- Blocked vents: You are not going to feel cold air coming out of vents that are blocked by household items such as drapes, curtains and furniture.
Let The Professionals at Brideau Energy Help
If you’re finding that no matter what you do your home air conditioner is simply not doing its job and cooling down your house, let the professionals at Brideau Energy help. After all, preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your AC system operating properly. Brideau Energy can help ensure that your air conditioning is running at maximum efficiency, which will reduce your overall cooling costs and save you money.
Brideau Energy’s air conditioning maintenance (link to https://www.brideauenergy.com/equipment-service/) includes:
- Checking the compressor connection and current
- Cleaning the evaporator coil
- Inspecting and cleaning the condenser
- Monitoring refrigerant levels and pressure
- Lubricating the fan motor and other moving parts
- Checking all electrical contacts, capacitors and wiring
- Checking the condenser-fan motor and blades
Brideau For All Your AC Needs
If you are in Central Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire and need an AC installed, repaired or tuned-up Brideau Energy is here to assist. Contact us today so we can help keep you cool all summer long.