Ask the propane safety expert
Written on: May 6, 2021
Question: How can I tell if my gas grill is leaking propane?
Answer: If you suspect a leak, do the following:
- Make sure the gas is shut off.
- Mix equal parts of water and liquid detergent in a container.
- Spray some of this soapy solution around the area where the grill’s valve connects to the propane cylinder.
- Turn the gas on slowly.
- If bubbles appear where you sprayed the solution, you probably have a gas leak.
- check Make sure the tank’s connections are tight and repeat the test.
Other reasons for leaks include damaged grill hoses or gas cylinders. Any of these situations require service by a propane grill expert. You should never try to fix a gas leak—on your grill or anywhere else—by yourself.